Thursday, October 28, 2010

Shoes and a Mission

A funny thing happened on the way to buy some shoes. I suddenly found a good start to my mission statement. Even though I don't have it all figured out yet with my new business I feel like there should always be a map of guiding principals to get you where you want to go. So, I've been pondering my mission statement and my business plan. I have several bits of paper with notes, but nothing formalized.

I work a part time retail customer service position that requires long hours of standing. No longer being in my 20's, I refuse to wear shoes that look good but feel terrible. I am quite willing to turn that around and wear ugly shoes that feel good if I must, but I still prefer at least reasonably cute shoes. Hours of shopping and trying on things is not really my idea of fun anymore either so I decided to go online. I had heard good things about Zappos.com and took a look. Now I have several pairs of shoes to choose from by brand names that have a reputation for comfort and style, but the best part of the experience so far was checking out the Zappos Family Core Values.

1 - Deliver WOW through service
2 - Embrace and drive change
3 - Create fun and a little weirdness
4 - Be adventurous, creative & open minded
5 - Pursue growth and learning
6 - Build open & honest relationships with communication
7 - Build a positive team & family spirit
8 - Do more with less
9 - Be passionate and determined
10 - Be humble

I don't think I can do any better than this. At least for the moment, I'm adopting the Zappos Family Core Values. Now, I haven't made up my mind on which shoes to get yet so the customer service hasn't been tested. I will let you know how it all goes.

Please keep my friend Bill and his family in your thoughts and prayers on the loss of his daughter. As I have this on my mind, I wish you all health, peace, love and laughter and never take a moment for granted.

Christel

No comments:

Post a Comment